Wednesday, September 9, 2015

WISDOM WEDNESDAY - Student Behavior

Every so often, you get that one student.  That student who makes you go home at night and ask yourself, "What am I going to do with them?"  Here are some things that I have done, or tried to do with those students:

1)  Keep an even voice - never let the student see you're upset.  You want to model for them the behavior you expect from them.  If you flip out when you're upset, what is that saying to them?

2)  Give choices - it isn't always going to be black and white.  Give the student options.  This helps them feel a little freedom.

3) Cut daunting tasks down - take a moment to write, cut...etc. a little for them.  "I'll do this, if you do this..."  Or say, "I'm asking everyone to do this, how about you do this much?"

4)  When you give a direction expect it to be followed.  If they see you waver and not make them do it, they will always seek the out.  You are the boss in the room and unless you've altered the direction for them (or even when you've altered it),  expect completion.

5)  Give wait time.  I always say, I'm going to count down from 10, then you need to make your choice or do....  I count with my hands not my mouth.  The less verbal the better.

It isn't easy.  Some days teaching is CHALLENGING!  Seek advice, help, support.  Good luck with your year!

God Bless,

Rachel Johnson
Thrilled in Third

No comments:

Post a Comment